Tuesday 1 April 2014

The Arrogance of a Writer

Someone recently told me that I wasn't as good a writer as J.K. Rowling, and that she's a far superior storyteller.  Perhaps she is, if you like stories about schoolboys who happen to be wizards.  Personally, I think this person was trying to bring me down to earth.

You see, I write books.  I'm arrogant.  I think most writers have to be, because there is something quite arrogant and self-assured about writing a book, or even a short story, and then setting it loose in the world so other people can read it and pass judgement.  I have to be arrogant, because that way when people say they don't like what I've written, when people criticize my work, or (heaven forbid) tell me that J.K. Rowling is a better writer than me, it never penetrates my thick skin.  It doesn't hurt me.

Here's the thing.  I think I am as good as J.K. Rowling.  I think I'm as good as John Grisham or Stephen King.  I think I'm on a par with Charles Bukowski.  If I didn't think that, then why would I carry on writing?  How could I have written 8 books?  And because these people are selling millions of copies of their books, does that mean that their talent is bigger than mine?  That they are more talented than the myriad Indie writers tirelessly pushing their work on the Kindle?  There is something to be said about a person who writes because they can, rather than because they have a six-book deal with a major publishing house.  Sure, these guys are not as polished as the Rowlings and Grishams of the world, but that's because they haven't had their work looked over and, dare I say it (from a writer's perspective), savaged (and polished) by a professional and experienced editor.  See, when I wrote my last book, "Besotted", I felt that I had produced the best work I could.  Naturally, it has a few frayed edges, but that's what a professional editor sorts out.  Without that valuable input, this is how an Indie writer rolls.

I think as I've got older, I've become to care less and less about what people think about me or about my work.  I wrote "die Stunde X" when I was 25.  In a way, it's a work of young adult fiction.  The lead character is in his early twenties, much as I was.  It's still my best seller (hence me currently working on a sequel - I think 20 years is long enough for people to have to wait!), and people have said that it's a pretty good story.  But I guess it's not as good a story as Harry Potter and the Wizard's Sleeve, because I'm not as good a storyteller as Rowling!  Back in 1994/1995, when the book was completed, I might've taken that to heart.  But as a 45 year old writer, such criticism is just water off a duck's back.  And whilst it might not have the thrills and suspense of "die Stunde X", I'm arrogant enough to think that "Besotted" is a pretty damn fine story as well, one written for adults rather than small children and grown-ups who like to read children's books.  And everybody who reads it can remember the name of the lead character.  Am I upset when people criticize my books?  No.  In a way, if their criticism is justified, I love it.  I love people talking to me about my books, what they enjoyed, what they didn't enjoy.  I'm not so convinced that J.K. Rowling gets such honesty from the people who talk to her about her books - just obsequious sycophants telling her how awesome her latest book is.  Me, I like nothing better than getting pissed with someone as they tell me about my last book - in vino veritas, they will tell me what was wrong with it too.  Would I ever want to give that up?  Definitely not.

Here's my advice to anyone who considers themselves to be a writer.  Become arrogant.

No comments:

Post a Comment