Friday 11 April 2014

Oh Lucky Me

I am fortunate.

I am fortunate in that I am surrounded by creative people.  I know writers, film directors, song writers, singers, musicians, actors.  All of them, each and every one of them, they create something.  Some of them, they might not be as prolific as me, but in each and every case I offer them encouragement.  Tonight, one of my friends (who has a day job that is stressful, rewarding, and not always respected) has told me he wants to write songs again.  It's been too long.  I told him that.  I hope he picks up a guitar and starts writing again.  I want to hear his work.

This is what us creative people should be with one another.  Supportive, cajoling, perhaps even oppressive.  Occasionally, creative people need a kick up the arse to remind that a) they have talent and b) they should be using it.

But I am lucky to be surrounded by creative people.

Only the other night, a singer/songwriter came round to see me, and I had some motor racing channel on.  He said, "I thought you were leading this Bohemian lifestyle, getting pissed and writing, not sitting there watching racing cars."  He had a point. There was me, writing more words on Facebook than in the current books I was endeavoring to write.

But us creative people, we procrastinate, we look for any excuse NOT to create.

We should pick up our pens, our guitars, our pencils and paint brushes, and we should create.

This one goes out to the nameless many ... the people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment