Saturday 10 May 2014

For charity

Not sure how much it will be worth, but it will be for Macmillian Cancer Support, a charity close to my heart.  But when I finish the first handwritten draft of "Maggie's Children", I will be auctioning it off for charity.  It may well only raise a few quid, but what you will be getting (if you're the winning bidder) is the raw first draft of a book.  You will be able to tell by my handwriting when I've been pissed (the handwriting gets bigger, the space between words larger).  You will be able to see the juvenile writings before a book goes into edit.  You will see the beer stains, the misspellings, the bad grammar, all of that stuff that occurs when a writer is "in the zone", just throwing the words and ideas onto the page.  It is kind of like letting you know what it's like to be in the mind of a writer desperately trying to just throw those words down on the paper.  Oh, I'm sorry - I think I repeated myself.

See, I'm not Stephen King, but I guarantee you that I sweat just as much as he does when he writes his first draft.  I become the people in my books, even if it's only fleetingly.  This first draft, I'm not prepared to give it up for a tenner, for twenty quid, for a pony even.  This is worth more than that.  This is a monkey, at least.  Keep watching this space, and then when the first draft is finished, and you're bidding for it, know that it's an important document, and more than that, it's going to be important to the people who will benefit from it, from the money it will raise.  This first draft deserves to go to a) a fan (that's a given) but also b) somebody who recognizes the importance of what their money will bring to people.

Keep fucking watching this space ...

No comments:

Post a Comment