Tuesday 28 January 2014

That bloody Kindle thing ...

Here's the thing.  My next book, "Besotted", is complete.  I want it to get out there, into the public domain, to be read by somebody, anybody - just one person or a few hundred people, or a few thousand.  But there's that problem with the Kindle.

If you're a writer who uses Word, then you've probably come across the problem.  That infernal fucking extra line that they insert between paragraphs by default.  I mean, Christ, who fucking writes anything like that?  It looks disgusting on the page, and it looks even worse on a Kindle.  We're quite fucking capable of pressing the "Return" key an extra time if we want that extra line in between our paragraphs, but generally, we don't want an extra line between EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PARAGRAPH.

So, there's the thing.  No matter what I did, the Amazon Kindle conversion was inserting extra lines between paragraphs where I was certain none existed.  Two hours it took me to identify the problem.  It's one of those "But ... ah ... oh, I see," kind of things.  See, I inserted a document with the title page and all of that kind of stuff before the actual text of the book.  Lazily, I'd not turned off that "insert an extra line between every FUCKING paragraph" thing off in that particular document.  So when I inserted it into the start of my book text, somehow, behind the scenes, Microsoft Word saw fit to say that the entire document needed that extra line, even if it wasn't showing it.

Here's the solution - CTRL+A to highlight everything.  Right click on the page, go to "paragraph" and then put a tick in "don't insert an extra line" box.  And while you're at it, switch off the poxy widow/orphan control as well.

Fucking Kindle.  I ask yer ... I don't think Benjamin Beerenwinkel would have these problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment