Friday 24 January 2014

Happy Birthday to me ...

Writer's are odd people.  Creative individuals whose minds never switch off.  I have a handful of writer friends, and without naming names, they are, each of them, mentally screwed up.  That's not a criticism.  Myself, I'm a manic depressive, which means that I can suffer from vast mood swings.  One of my writer friends is constantly down because he feels that life has passed him by.

Which brings me to this post.

Here I am, on the cusp of my 45th birthday, and I could sit here wondering what I've achieved.  What has been my purpose on Earth?  Oh Christ, let's be fair, do any of us need a purpose to exist on this planet?  We're all, each of us, just a bunch of cells waiting to die.  That's all we are.  What have I achieved?  Does it matter?  I have two fantastic sons.  I've published 7 books.  I make a modest living out of them.  I make films, I act, though neither of these bring in money.  Is money important?  Of course it isn't.  Indeed, when I see somebody driving a Land Rover which has been "Overfinch-ed", I think they're an utter cunt.  I don't respect them.  Why should I?  Who do I respect?  Some of my friends, for their achievements, most of which are far more admirable than the Overfinch-driving Wayne Rooney, who struggles to find two brain cells to rub together, but who kicks a football around a pitch for a week's salary that most nurses will take 10 years to earn.  My friends, the ones I respect, some are wealthy, but most are as poor as me.  But do women sleep with poor men?  Of course they do.  Though I've had my fair share of women who are interested only in money and status, most women I've met are interested in the person rather than the bank balance.

Sadly, I suppose I'm not really a person that women are interested in ...

And there's me on the cusp of my 45th birthday, single, but undoubtedly happy.  Why am I happy?  Because I enjoy writing and creating, and because I have to hand a number of individuals I'm proud to call friends.

Here's to my 45th, on Sunday.  Send me a birthday wish ...

1 comment:

  1. Only 45? You're only ankle deep in the murky waters of life.
    Warm wishes winging their way - enjoy your party. Hope you have your birthday cake and eat it. Enjoy!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete